Monday, December 23, 2013

Ruby Snow Warren Jensen (1884-1966) Autobiography, Part 3

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

We also bought a big granery [sic] in the summer of 1910 and Jesse built a large shed on the back of it where we could keep the new buggy. It made a nice place for the children to play as we did not have any shade trees around. Jesse later used this shed, part of it, for a blacksmith shop. In the fall of 1910, Father and Mother came to see us and as we did not have much room in the house, we had put two beds out in the granery, as it was nice and clean. So Jesse and I and the children slept in the granery and Mother and Father slept in the house.

We were fixed real nice now in our two small rooms. We had been able to get some new linoleum for the kitchen and a small rug for the bedroom.

In late summer of 1910, I had put Evalyn to sleep on my bed with a cushion behind her head and a mosquito bar over her to keep the flies away from her face. I was outside working at something. She woke up and some way had pulled the mosquito bar and cushion over her face and was very near smothered to death. I called to Jesse who was near by and we had a little whiskey which we diluted with water and fed it to her and after about a half an hour she began to get color back in her face and to breathe better and was soon all right.

In the spring of 1911, we bought 40 acres more land, one mile north and one mile east of our home. This was all sage brush, so a lot of hard work again. Burton was now only five years old, but he drove one team of horses on one end of the rail while his father drove the other team on the other end of the rail. They would rail brush and put it in windrows all day and burn it half of the night. The children all liked to help with the fires.

That spring Eddie gave us quite a surprise. He came up to see us. I don't know how he got out from Blackfoot. He was on crutches as he had shot his foot while hunting deer in October, 1910. We had bought us some blacksmith tools, a forge and an anvil and hand tools to go with them. Jesse was making a wagon wrench. He had it all hot to cut it off and when Eddie and I walked into the shop, he cut it off and it was so short it would just go through the double tree and would not hold the double tree stick on the wagon tongue. Eddie stayed two weeks and worked in the shop and made the boys a farm wagon. Eddie had a lot of fun making the wagon and the boys had a lot of fun playing with it.

In the summer of 1911, Altha and Arth came up to see us. We again used the granery for our bedrooms and gave Altha and family the house. The first morning while they were there, I got up real early, but Altha was out in the potatoe patch digging potatoes for breakfast. We had real good potatoes that year. They had five children. We were real crowded, but we really enjoyed their visit. They bought a home and 40 acres of land while they were there and moved up in September 1911.

That summer my children all had scarlet fever and it left the baby, Evalyn, with a bad heart. She had also had a bad time with Pneumonia in the spring.

Christmas of 1911, the Peterson's spent with us and we had a very happy day, although away from our loved families, but it wasn't too lonesome now as there were ten families living in the Groveland Ward. Burr and Pearl Whiting, and Orsen and Jessie Manwaring were living there when we moved to Groveland, also Walter and Emogene Manwaring. Those moving there after us were George and Hazel Whiting, Arthur and Tressa Manwaring, Horace and Ivy Manwaring, Mr. and Mrs. Manwaring, father and mother of the Manwaring boys, Uncle Lon and Aunt Ell Fullmer. Their two married daughters, Cassie and Edmund Roundy and James and Tryphera Childs. Jesse's brother, Theodore, was with us and he married Teenie Hansen, a sister of Lizzie Peterson, so we were a small colony from our home town of Mapleton.

Teenie and Thea lived about two miles from us. They bought a farm joining ours on the east and had built a nice two room home on it. All year of 1912, we all worked real hard. Jesse used to hitch three horses on a sulky pow, then two on the hand plow. He would drive the two on the hand plow and lead the other three. He would have to stop at both ends to put the sulky plow in and out of the ground, but he got more plowed that way in a day.

We built a large shed for the horses and three milk cows and two chicken coops connected with an open run, or scratch pen.

We now had five head of horses, some pigs, three cows and a nice flock of chickens. As we had a drain pond in one end of the pasture we had a few geese. We had good crops that year as most of our land was now under cultivation. We had a nice winter of 1912 and came back home for a Christmas visit with all of our folks. We went to the Christmas party and dances in the new hall which had been built that year (now known as Memorial Hall).

Christmas dinner was at Mother's and when I turned my plate over after the blessing had been said, there I found a very small, beautiful gold watch for my Christmas--a very happy surprise for me.

Ella had been married in 1911 to Elmer Johnson and in 1912 they came up to visit us in July, I think. They had a cute baby girl named Lenore. We had a nice visit with them.

This summer of 1912, Orson Callister built a new home just across the road from us, so now we felt like we really had some nice new neighbors and it was nice for the children as they had three children.

September, 1912, Mabel started to school, but after Christmas it was so cold that she got her feet frozen so badly that she had to miss most of the school for that year. In the spring of 1913, Jesse's mother sold her place in Mapleton and moved with her family to Groveland, to be near her two boys. They bought 30 acres of land. They built a four room frame home about three miles south of us and were doing well. The boys all had work and we were a happy family together there for the summer. Jesse and Thea rented a farm in Blackfoot, just on the edge of the town about four blocks from main street, and when they went into work, we went with them. We had a tent with beds and stove, so it was like going on an outing for me and the children. We were close enough that we could walk into town after work and go to a show and this was something new for us. We had potatoes and beets on this land, so I helped with the hoeing of the crops, but Jesse worked too hard that summer. He helped to build his Mother's home and tended all the farm with just what help me and the children could give him. We needed poles to built [sic] a potato cellar so we all went to the canyon to get the poles and have us an outing too. Arth and Altha and their family, Grandma Warren and her children, Aarus, Leo, Wesley and Laurena, Thea and Teenie, Jesse and I and the children. We had five teams on wagons and one on the buggy. The women rode most of the time in the buggy.

I think we were gone nearly a week. It was a nice trip for all of us and we got enough poles to build a large potato cellar. Burton says we had a saddle with us and his father put it on the poles on the back of the wagon and he rode in the saddle coming home. Now it was time to get the second crop of hay and the grain up, so everyone was real busy, but some way Thea and Jesse built the potato cellar and we had the third crop of hay up. The bins were full of grain and we had plenty of hay for a year to feed the horses. We had six work horses and two nice colts nearly ready to break. It was now October and time to harvest beets and potatoes. We had got the beets dug at home and also the potatoes on the home place. I had a crew of ten men to cook for. They had a place to sleep in the loft of the granery, had a stove up there to keep warm.

Jesse took sick while they were digging the potatoes at home and had to quit work for a few days. The crew moved over to the potatoes on the other forty and Jesse felt a little better, so he got on the saddle horse and rode over to see how they were getting along there and how they were getting the potatoes into the new cellar. He got on the potato digger and drove that a while. This was a Wednesday. He came back home and had to go to bed again. We had the doctor, but they seemed to think he would be all right in a few days, but he got steadily worse and had to be taken to the hospital on Monday morning. We had phoned to father and he came Monday night. They operated on Jesse Tuesday morning for appendicitis, but the appendix was ruptured.

Grandma Warren and Father, I and Evelyn stayed in town with friends as it was too far for us to drive each day and they were using all the horses to dig the potatoes on the farm we had rented in town. Mabel, Burton and Welby stayed with Altha, but she brought them them into the hospital to see their Father. Burton and Mabel were now in school.

Jesse died on October 25. Father sent for Mother, but she did not get there before he died.

Thea and Ed Leiter, our hired man, had all the potatoes dug and sold on the rented place in town before Jesse died. We went out home Saturday night after Jesse died--could not do anything about funeral arrangements before Monday. We packed our clothes and what bedding could be spared, ready to come home, as we had decided to bring him back to Mapleton for burial.

Tuesday the funeral was held in the Groveland church and we went and stayed in Blackfoot Tuesday night after the funeral. Some dear friends bought a large spray of pink rosebuds and they were all the flowers at the Groveland funeral. (We brought them with us to Mapleton.) We were on the train all day. Wednesday night when we were met at the O.S.L. track three miles below Springville, half of the Mapleton people were down there to meet us. There was some snow on the ground and it was very cold. Wheeler was there with the hearse for Jesse, and I heard Mother say, "Where is Eddie?" Aunt Maria Mendenhall said he was there. She said also the whole town were there. Eddie was with the horses as they were afraid of the train. It was so cold and the people had waited a long time as the train was late. They had a large bright fire burning to keep warm by and it made light for us to see by to get in the buggies. It was after midnight when we got to Mother's, but the house was full of people to see us and sympathize with us. Aunt Errie and Uncle Horace and Jesse's brother, Wellie, from the reservation was there. Eddie had made arrangements for the funeral and it was held Thursday, October 30 and Jesse was buried on Father's lot in the Evergreen Cemetery. This had been an awful hard two weeks for me.

Altha came with us from Idaho, but Grandma Warren could not come down here to Mapleton as her daughter, Lucy, was there with her and was expecting a baby, so Grandma stayed to take care of her. Father, Mother and I decided I had better stay here with them for the winter as we were so far from school or town and had to haul all the water two miles for all the animals (except the horses), also all the water we used in the house. We only stayed here a few days as I had a hired man taking care of things while I was away. So when Altha had visited as long as she could, Wellie and I went home with her, as Wellie wanted to see his Mother and the rest of the family.

Lucy and her family had come to Groveland for the funeral and she stayed there with her Mother most of the winter. Wellie and Altha and I got back to Groveland November 5. I left all the children here with Mother, as Mabel and Burton were now starting to school in Mapleton and it would be too cold to take the two little ones with me. I had to arrange for an auction sale of all the things we had accumulated around us, as we had such a lot of bills to pay. This was another heart breaking time for me to see all the livestock, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, all the machinery sold. The wheat in the bins, the hay in the stacks--everything Jesse had worked for for four years sold in one afternoon. When the sale was over, I had enough to pay all the bills we owed and a little over. I rented the place to Cassie and Edmund Roundy, packed up the rest of my bedding, clothing and some personal things and came back home to Mapleton about the 25th of November.

While we were down here the ward had turned out and dug all the beets on the land rented in Blackfoot. The Relief Society took a hot dinner to the men. This helped me out a lot. A photographer came out from the town and made some pictures and gave me two. These are all our neighbors and the Relief society sisters on this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment