Sunday, August 16, 2015

{History of Mapleton} William Thomas Tew, Jr. (1885-1954)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 173-174.

William Thomas Tew, Jr. was born in Springville and spent several years in other localities—but he always considered Mapleton his home. He entered this life January 2, 1885, the first child of William T. Tew and Clara Elizabeth Snow, with four brothers and two sisters joining the family later.

When he was about six months of age, William moved with his parents to Mapleton, where they settled on a 20-acre farm on the east side of town. His father engaged in brick-laying and farming to provide for the physical needs of the family.

Of his early years in Mapleton, William recorded in his autobiography: “We had no amusements, only visiting our friends and relatives. These were days when all the “Union Bench” or Mapleton was without fences; roads followed the course of least resistance. I remember that the main road to Springville took a diagonal direction from the old school house towards the Barlow Hill this side of Springville. A baseball diamond was laid out on the east part of Richard L. Mendenhall’s farm. Here, on the Fourth and Twenty-fourth of July, all the citizens assembled and sat around under the cedar trees to watch the baseball games.”

These conditions soon changed and social life was centered around a small school house. This building was used for religious gatherings, socials, plays, road-shows, etc. It was in this school house that William and his family saw their first Minstrel Show, a real thrill in those days.

William attended school in Mapleton a few months each winter, progressing from reader to reader, as was the custom. In the fall of 1901 he and another student, John Bent, decided to complete their education, even though they had to travel on horseback to Springville for instruction. Final examinations were conducted in Spanish Fork and graduation exercises took place in Lehi. Ninety-two students obtained certificates from the Grammar School of Utah County on May 23, 1902.

Brigham Young Academy provided the next educational step, but this was interrupted in 1905 when William was called to serve as a missionary in New Zealand for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He remained there three years and it took another two years after his return to accumulate sufficient funds to continue his education. He enrolled in Brigham Young University, then passed his high school examinations, making himself fully acceptable. In June, 1916 he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in Agronomy, with a minor in Chemistry. During his college years, he had the good fortune to be asked to teach part-time at the university, receiving a salary of $25.00 per month. Low as this salary was, it made his education possible.

William T. Tew, Jr. married Jennie Houtz on June 18, 1913. She was the daughter of Christian Watson Houtz and Mary Esther Waters, early residents of Mapleton.

After teaching two years in Manti and Springville, William moved his family to Lost River, Idaho, where he hoped to use his knowledge of agronomy and become a full-scale farmer. However, a badly-broken leg contributed to severe financial reverse and he re-entered the teaching profession in September, 1920 at the Butte County Junior High School in Moore, Idaho.

The following year a Church Seminary was opened in Fillmore, Utah, and Mr. Tew was given the privilege of pioneering this new venture. He taught four years in Fillmore and was then transferred and became Principal of the Springville Seminary, where he taught until he was called with his family to preside over the East Central States Mission, with headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky. He served faithfully for three years and in September, 1940, he returned to his assignment with the Springville Seminary, continuing his work until his retirement May 24, 1953. Much of this time he also served as a member of the Kolob Stake High Council, and during the summer months he was frequently employed as a carpenter.

Being civic-minded, Mr. Tew was a member of the Mapleton City Council, one year as councilman and one as mayor. During those years the groundwork was laid for the installation of a culinary water system. Successive mayors carried through on the plans and the completion was celebrated Aug. 23, 1919.

Mr. Tew and his wife were parents to seven children: Merlene, Naoma, Helen, Thirl William, Roy Eldon, Dean Leon, and Ronald Kay, all of whom are living at the time of this writing.

Well-versed in the scriptures, Mr. Tew was an influential missionary, a gifted speaker, a capable instructor, and a natural leader. He possessed vigor and vitality and expended it freely in instructing the youth of this area. He was rewarded with the devotion of students, missionaries, friends, and family, and has left an enviable mark upon the lives of his fellow citizens.

On January 24, 1954 Mr. Tew passed away quietly at his home in Mapleton, having suffered for some time from Hodgkin’s Disease. His wife, Jennie, survives him and is living in Springville, now in her eighty-fourth year.

{History of Mapleton} William Thomas Tew (1859-1933)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 173.

William Thomas Tew, one of the early Mapleton settlers, descended from Thomas Tew, Jr. and Rebecca Bird, Mormon pioneers, his father having arrived from England August 30, 1851 and his mother followed four years later.

The oldest of nine children, William was born in Springville Feb. 2, 1859 and early learned the meaning of work. By age fourteen he had learned his father’s trade and was working as a brick mason. He and his father built many of the early homes in Springville and Mapleton. He also became a successful fruit farmer, having planted some of the first fruit trees in the Mapleton area.

William T. Tew married Clara Elizabeth Snow, daughter of Warren Stone Snow and Elizabeth Whiting, Jan. 31, 1884 and the following year, they, with their young son, moved to Mapleton. They settled in a one-room building and passed through many hardships during the early years, having to carry their drinking water for about a mile and enduring many privations.

Mr. Tew was civic minded and wanted to see progress made in the new settlement. He served as a member of the Town Board and also as president. He was the marshal and had a part in the selection of the town’s name. In 1885 a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was established in Mapleton with Edwin Lucius Whiting acting as presiding elder. Mr. Tew and John Mendenhall were chosen as counselors and three years later when a ward was formed, Mr. Tew continued to serve as counselor to Bishop Whiting. On May 19, 1896 Abraham H. Cannon ordained Mr. Tew and set him apart as Bishop, a position he held for twenty-four years. He was honorably released May 28, 1920. He also served in other church positions, having been at various times in the superintendencies of the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association and the Sunday School. He accepted a missionary call in 1927 and spent six months in California in that capacity.

Bishop Tew and his wife became the parents of seven children: William Thomas, Jr., Rebecca, Warren Stone, Monroe Bird, Bryan, Burton Edwin, and Melba. There were forty-one grandchildren.

In 1930 Bishop Tew, as he was called until his death, was thrown from a load of hay, breaking both arms and injuring his back and neck. His health rapidly deteriorated and pneumonia claimed his life on January 13, 1933. He was buried in the Springville Evergreen Cemetery, as was his wife, Clara, who followed him three years later.

He is remembered by his children and grandchildren as a man of determination and character, strong will, great faith, and abundant energy, well-beloved by many.

{History of Mapleton} Edwin Marion Snow (1887-1955)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 171-172.

Edwin Marion Snow, Jr., a son of Edwin Marion Snow, Sr., and Frances Evaline Perry, was born February 23, 1887, at Mapleton, Utah. He received his education in Mapleton Schools and attended some classes at Brigham Young University.

In 1918 Ed volunteered for service in the U. S. Army. After a short period of training he was discharged because of poor health, so did not see active service in World War I.

He was a member of the Cattlemen’s Association. Also he was on the Irrigation Board for several years and did much surveying for present-day irrigation ditches and headgates. For twelve years he was on the Town Hall Board along with George Murray, Elmer Bird, Bert Whiting and Horace Perry. During his time he managed the “hall” and took great pride in seeing that things were done right.

For about seven years, beginning in 1919, Ed and George Murray were projectionists for the silent movies that were shown twice weekly in the amusement hall. The Saturday afternoon shows were children’s serials which would continue running for several weeks, along with the regular feature. Preal and Thelma Nielson played appropriate music to set the mood for the story.

When sound pictures came along, sound equipment was too expensive for Mapleton to buy so the picture shows came to an end. About this time Mapleton Ward purchased the hall. At this time, R. Lovell Mendenhall was Bishop with Richard Bird and John I Holley as counselors.

Ed played the trombone in the Mapleton band when it was led by Zenna Houtz Whiting and later Frank M. Johnson for several years. This band performed at many town meetings and celebrations.

In the late 1920s Ed worked with the “Vanguards” (young men, ages 16-18) in the M.I.A. He taught them the art of leather work, the sport of archery and how to make their own bows and arrows. Many hours each week were spent sharing the crafts in which he was skilled with anyone who was interested.

He was a farmer and raised cattle, working for many years with his father operating the family farm. After the death of his father, he cared for his mother for several years until she passed away in 1945. After the death of his father, he continued to run the farm with some outside help.

He married Helen C. Marchant in February 1950. They lived in the family home now owned by Richard D. Bills, just northeast of the new bank.

Ed died January 4, 1955 at about age 68, leaving his widow and two step children, Arnold Johnson and Janice M. Stewart.

{History of Mapleton} Edwin Marion (1859-1928) and Frances Evaline Perry Snow (1864-1945)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 170-171.

Edwin Marion Snow was born November 21, 1859, at Manti, Utah. He was the son of Warren Stone Snow and Sarah Elizabeth Whiting Snow. He lived at Manti until he was twelve years old and then his parents moved to Springville, Utah. During his early life he helped build roads to the Schofield coal camp, worked at a saw mill in Hobble Creek Canyon, and by 1881 he had acquired 3 yoke of oxen and was chopping railroad ties at White River in Spanish Fork Canyon.

Edwin married Frances Evaline Perry on April 9, 1883 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. During that summer he worked in Park City and hauled card wood to his home site in Mapleton. He later worked at the saw mills in the nearby canyons to get the lumber for his home and he hauled the brick from Provo with his ox team and wagon. In the Spring of 1884 Edwin and his wife moved onto their eight acre farm and began to build their house. They lived in a tent on the north end of the farm until the house was nearly completed, and then in November they moved in. It had four large rooms and two nice porches and was the first brick home built in Mapleton. It was in this home that four children were born to Edwin and Frances. Ruby was born November 29, 1884. Edwin Marion, Jr., was born February 23, 1887, and a daughter, Luella, was born September 10, 1890. A fourth child, Perry, was born on April 6, 1896, but he died a short time later.

It was in 1895 that Edwin and his wife decided to build a large brick home nearer to the center of town. They bought a five acre tract from her brother, Lewis R. Perry, and completed the home in the fall of 1896. Most of the work was done by them and their family. They hauled the sand and gravel that they needed. They slacked their own lime and cut much of their own wood. Before the house was ready to move in to, however, Frances came down with typhoid fever and the doctor suggested that she not move in until the Spring of 1896. During the winter Frances and the family saved enough carpet rags to make a carpet for three rooms in the new house. The home had six rooms and a bathroom, and although there was not running water in the house, it was a very elaborate home for the time, and the neighbors referred to it as Eddy’s mansion.

The family worked hard, as most Mapleton families had to at this time, to make a living, but there was still time for parties and family outings. The Snow home was large so it became one of the enjoyable gathering places for the young people of the town. In 1900 an organ was purchased and the young folks gathered more than ever.

Edwin served his community in many ways. He was a class instructor in the first organized Sunday school on the bench. He was then chosen as first counselor in the teacher’s quorum, and later served as its president. When Bishop William T. Tew was called Edwin became his first counselor and served at that position for twenty-one years. In 1919 he was the parent’s class teacher, and in 1924 he was chosen as second counselor to G. Ray Maycock in the new Kolob Stake presidency. In 1890 Edwin became Mapleton’s first road supervisor. He served two terms as a town board member and was president of the board for six years. He actively worked to get Strawberry water for Mapleton and was on the Mapleton Irrigation Board for many years.

During the many years Edwin served in his church jobs his wife helped in many ways. She fed the countless visiting authorities and made them feel welcome. Brother John A. Widtsoe of the Council of Twelve Apostles and George Albert Smith, who later became President of the L.D.S. Church were visitors at the Snow home. Frances also served at several jobs in the Relief Society.

Edwin Marion Snow died on December 11, 1928 after an operation in Salt Lake City. This left Frances a widow for seventeen years, but she had her son Eddie to help her. She enjoyed good health until the last three years of her life when her legs became paralyzed. She died at the age of eighty-one in Mapleton on September 19, 1945 and was buried by the side of her husband in the Evergreen Cemetery.

{History of Mapleton} Sarah Elizabeth Whiting Snow

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 170.

Sarah was born on January 2, 1840, in Nelson, Portage County, Ohio. She was the fourth child of Edwin and Elizabeth Tillotson Whiting. Her parents joined the L. D. S. Church and moved to Illinois. It was there that the mob came and burned their home. Although very young, Sarah remembered the scene of their burning home and father’s chair factory. Sarah’s family was driven with the rest of the Saints away from Nauvoo, and, from there, they crossed the plains. Sarah, although only eight years old, helped drive their wagon team. They arrived in Salt Lake City in late October and were sent on to Manti in November to help settle that area. They were too late to construct homes, so they had to live in “dug-outs”, which were holes they dug in the hillside.

Sarah married Warren S. Snow on April 20, 1857. She was seventeen. Her husband had joined the L. D. S. Church when he was fifteen. He lived with the Prophet Joseph Smith for a while. He crossed the plains and also came to settle in Manti. He arrived in Manti in 1854. He was made a bishop and held that position for six years. He was a general in the Black Hawk War.

Warren and Sarah had three children: Edwin Marion, Clara Elizabeth, and Daniel Wells. The Snows moved to Mapleton in 1894. Sarah’s husband passed away before the rest of the family moved to Mapleton. Sarah worked for many years in the Relief Society. She was lovingly called “Aunt Sarah”. She died in 1918 on November 23 as a result of the flu epidemic.

{History of Mapleton} Marquis De Lafayette “Mark” Perry (1879-1958) and Phoebe Jane Fullmer Perry (1882-1958)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 168.

Marquis De Lafayette “Mark” Perry
Marquis or “Mark” Perry, tenth child of Stephen Chadwick and Mary Boggs Perry, was born November 6, 1879, at Springville, Utah. As a child, Mark and the other children came to live in Mapleton on the property exempted by his father under the Homestead act. His early religious training was acquired in Springville and Mapleton, but mostly under the gentle but firm tutelage of a devout mother. He was educated in the elementary school in the Perry home as well as the other schools which were provided to fill the need. As a young man he worked on the family farm, an occupation he pursued throughout his life. He enjoyed fine horses, stock raising, and the customary agricultural lifestyle. He married Phoebe Jane Fullmer on June 27, 1900, in the Salt Lake Temple. The young married couple were apportioned a piece of the original Perry homestead and built a home on the east corner of the property. They raised eight children: William Ferdinand, Marquis Delbert, Richard Curtis, Elma (who died in infancy), Thora, David, Mary Larie, and Erma.

Mark was well liked and respected by everyone in town. His personality was dominated by a cheerful, jovial disposition, but his children can attest that when they needed discipline, his countenance and demeanor could become very stern. On the other hand, Mark loved to sing, and his voice was heard at numerous community and church functions. He lived his entire life in Mapleton. When he died May 30, 1958, those who eulogized him extolled his honesty, common sense, fairness, willingness to work, solidity of character, and, in general, a life well spent.

Phoebe Jane Fullmer Perry
Wife of Mark Perry, was born April 1, 1882, at Mapleton, Utah. Her parents were William Price Fullmer and Maria Jane Curtis. As a child she learned the meaning of work on the family farm during her father’s absence in service to the Mormon church. She was educated in the North School, finished high school, and attended one year at the Brigham Young Academy. She was religiously active in church functions and served as a Relief Society instructor for almost 50 years. Characterized as a diligent, kind, and loving mother, she devoted her energy to respectable living, high principles, and teaching her children the same standards she adhered to throughout life. She died June 2, 1958, within a few days of her husband.

{History of Mapleton} Parley Pratt Perry (1875-1962)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 167-168.

Parley Pratt Perry was born to Stephen C. Perry and Mary Boggs Perry on November 5, 1875, at Springville, Utah. Shortly thereafter he came with his parents to Union Bench where he obtained his early religious and secular training. Throughout his life he worked as a farmer, but he also varied his career in other secondary positions, though he placed equal importance on them. Civically, he served as town marshall of Mapleton. He also filled a position as a member of the Nebo District Board of Education. He was active in church as a young man and served in both the Sunday School and the M.I.A.

Parley married Lydia Ardilla Gallup on September 8, 1897 in the Manti Temple. Ardilla was a daughter of James Gallup and Elenor Amelia Warren. She was born April 9, 1879 at Springville. Throughout her life she was active in LDS auxiliary organizations and the D.U.P. Their family consisted of the following children: James Stephen Perry; Melinda Perry (died in infancy); Lewis Reid Perry; Inez Perry Rudolph; Parley Burnell Perry; and Marva Perry Taylor.

Parley built a brick home (on 700 South Main) where he lived the remainder of his life. His eldest son, James, assisted him in the raising of sugar beets and other cash crops, and later rented the land from his father in a continued operation.

When his wife Lydia died November 17, 1958, Parley quietly receded from public affairs and became more and more reclusive. He stayed around home except to walk up the street to Harmer’s Market for a few groceries or down the street to visit his brother Horace. He enjoyed his front porch and spent the warm summer evenings there sitting on the chair made by his father. With Maple Mountain as a backdrop, he would sit and watch the scenery or read the evening paper while he thoughtfully mulled over his “chew” of tobacco. He was a man who apparently kept his opinions to himself, though he was studious, well-read, and a great storyteller. Unobtrusive, he passed his final years serenely and died at Provo, Utah, October 28, 1962.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

{History of Mapleton} Lewis Rosalvo Perry (1849-1914)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 166-167.

Lewis Rosalvo Perry was the son of Stephen C. Perry and Anna Marie Hulett Perry. He was born at Mr. Pisgah, Iowa, on December 31, 1849. At six months, he came with the family to Utah and spent most of his childhood in Springville. His schooling was limited to three months during winter. The remainder of his time as a boy was spent on the farm, herding sheep and cattle. As he became older, his responsibilities increased to cutting grain with the old-fashioned “turkey wing cradle,” or scythe, threshing and winnowing. At 16, he went to Strawberry Valley to work on a government logging project. In 1869, he was requested to assist the perpetual Emigration Co. to transport a company of Denmark emigrants from the North Platte River to Salt Lake. That same year he went to Weber Canyon to work on the Union Pacific Railroad. With the mining boom of 1870, Lewis started a mining operation with L.J. Whitney in the Tintic region. The claim, which was named “Sunbeam,” yield a high gross and proved to be a very successful venture.

On December 18, 1871, Lewis married Cornelia Dolly Whiting in the Endowment House. They built a home in Mapleton a few years later and Lewis became a full-time farmer. Both were active in civic and church functions. Lewis served as Superintendant [sic] of the Mapleton Sunday School under Bishop Edwin Lucius Whiting and Dolly served in the Relief Society. In 1897, Lewis was called by Willaim [sic] T. Tew to fill a mission to the Southern States. He remained 18 months in the mission and returned home on account of illness in the family. There were seven children born to the Lewis and Dolly: Willis Delmar Perry, Myra Gertrude Perry, Leon Lewis Perry, Charles Franklin Perry, George Washington Perry, Erma Perry, and Ross Leo Perry.

In 1899, the Lewis R. Perry family moved to Union, Oregon in 1910. Lewis died there on December 19, 1914. Dolly survived him 19 years and died October 15, 1933. Lewis was active in church affairs and eventually became a member of the high council. In 1907 the family moved to Driggs, Idaho, and finally moved to LeGrande, Oregon in 1910. Lewis died there on December 29, 1914. Dolly durvived [sic] him 19 years and died October 15, 1933. *

*Note: This paragraph could have been worded better. In the US 1900 census, his family is in the county of Union, Oregon, so it looks like the timeline is as follows:
  • 1899: Perry family moves to Union, Oregon
  • 1907: Perry family moves to Driggs, Idaho
  • 1910:  Perry family moves to LeGrande, Oregon
  • December 29, 1914: Lewis R. Perry dies.
  • October 15, 1933: Dolly dies, having survived Lewis 19 years.

{History of Mapleton} Hyrum Boggs Perry (1859-1951)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 166.

Hyrum Boggs Perry was the second son of Stephen C. Perry and Mary Boggs Perry. He was born August 13, 1859 at Springville, Utah. He spent his childhood there and later moved to Mapleton. In 1880 he went to work for Deal Brothers and Mendenhall Construction Company in Durango, Colorado. When the job closed, he went to Snow Flake, Arizona and contracted for a five-mile stretch of railroad for the Atlantic and Pacific R.R. The contract extended to Needles, California, but the contractor John W. Young went broke. Hyrum lost his wages and returned home. Later that year he went to Castle Gate, Utah, to work on a tunnel project and in 1883 he moved on the Park City to work for a timber company.

On March 13, 1884, Hyrum married Luella Roundy, daughter of Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy and Martha Edmiston, in the Endowment House. They eventually moved to Mapleton where they shared the old home with George Perry and his wife. In 1885, Hyrum built a two-room frame house located at 800 South Main, but the top burned severely enough that it was replaced with a two-story brick home. For ten years Hyrum worked on canal projects, for the railroad, and several other construction projects. He also found time to serve on the Mapleton School Board. Luella accompanied him on the railroad assignment and hired on as a cook for the camps. Their marriage produced six children: Areva Perry, who married Alpheus Curtis; Hyrum Adelbert Perry, Jr., killed in France during World War I; Zelda Perry, who died in infancy; Lauren Vell, who died in infancy; Wilda Perry, who married John Holley; and sixth child stillborn.

Hyrum served a Western States Mission shortly after the birth of Wilda, in 1896. He consented to go after getting out of debt and as a result of Wilda’s miraculous recovery from typhoid fever. Hyrum, or “Gampy,” as he was affectionately called by the neighborhood children (and almost everyone else in town), settled permanently in Mapleton after his mission. He loved people, always kept a large garden, and was highly respected in the community. He died on December 31, 1951, at the age of 92. He survived his wife Luella by 16 years. She died April 27, 2935 [sic].

{History of Mapleton} Horace Brigham Perry (1873-1967)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 165-166.

One of the “five stalwarts of Perry street” was born September 12, 1873, at Springville, Utah. He was a son of Stephen c. Perry and Mary Boggs Perry. He began his education in Springville, but later continued in Mapleton. He described the first school as a small building about 30 x 14 feet. The walls were made of vertically placed boards with cracks “so wide the snow could drift between the boards.” The grades were called “chart class: 1st reader, 2nd reader, etc.” All classes were held in the same room. The children paid $3.00 per quarter for school.

As a young man, Horace worked hard. He herded cows in Maple canyon, worked the farm, and hauled wood from the mountains for fuel. He also helped rail and grub hoe the sagebrush to clear the land. This was done by hitching mules to the ends of a heavy pole and dragging it over the brush. Then a wide shovel-like hoe was used to chop away the tough, unrelenting sage roots.
Much of Horace’s early life was spent working away from home. In Colorado he worked in the Placer mine sluicing gold ore. He owned $4.00 worth of stock in the company, but the get-rich-quick venture folded because the man in charge was a drinking man and he mismanaged the business. Horace returned to Utah where he cut and hauled ties for the railroad in Spanish Fork Canyon. When that job ended, he and his brother Harvey went into the brick making business. They sold their product for $7.00 per thousand. Horace also became a farmer. He raised hay ($3.50 a ton), wheat (30¢ a bushel) and sugar beets.

On November 30, 1896, Horace married Ariel Warren in the Salt Lake Temple. She was the daughter of Amos Benoni Warren and Caroline Lucy Fullmer. Ariel was born March 27, 1879 in Springville and spent her childhood in Mapleton. After their marriage, Horace built a one-room brick home with a wooden lean-to on the back. He built it on land he obtained from his father (located on 300 West, 800 South). There he continued the brick business, augmented by farming and sheep raising. Later he took his wife and family to Winter Quarters to work in the mines. After moving back to Mapleton in 1905, he resumed farming, worked in a sorgum mill, and a few years later worked on the Strawberry Tunnel and for the Utah Sugar Company. During his life he held numerous other jobs and positions. Locally, he served as Road Supervisor for the Utah County Road Commission, manager of the Amusement Hall, and worked for a short time for the irrigation company.

Horace was always cooperative whenever there was a building to be built or work to be done. He had a talent for understanding and helping wayward boys. He was an arduous worker and always exerted a full day’s labor. Honesty was his code and his word was his bond. He always loved gardening and kept a neat, clean yard. He passed those qualities on to his children: Ardell Perry Warner; Elda Perry Johnson; Dena Perry Anderson; Warren Horace Perry; Leah Perry Wilson; (Levon Leroy died in infancy). “Uncle Horace,” as he was called by the neighborhood children, was never seen much in church in later life, but he was deeply religious in his own private way. He loved to sit on the porch in the evening. A common sight was his old black sedan which drove down the roads in all his glory. A stroke suffered in 1965 severely confined him. He was attended dutifully by Ardell and Warren until his death.