Sunday, August 16, 2015

{History of Mapleton} Edwin Marion Snow (1887-1955)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 171-172.

Edwin Marion Snow, Jr., a son of Edwin Marion Snow, Sr., and Frances Evaline Perry, was born February 23, 1887, at Mapleton, Utah. He received his education in Mapleton Schools and attended some classes at Brigham Young University.

In 1918 Ed volunteered for service in the U. S. Army. After a short period of training he was discharged because of poor health, so did not see active service in World War I.

He was a member of the Cattlemen’s Association. Also he was on the Irrigation Board for several years and did much surveying for present-day irrigation ditches and headgates. For twelve years he was on the Town Hall Board along with George Murray, Elmer Bird, Bert Whiting and Horace Perry. During his time he managed the “hall” and took great pride in seeing that things were done right.

For about seven years, beginning in 1919, Ed and George Murray were projectionists for the silent movies that were shown twice weekly in the amusement hall. The Saturday afternoon shows were children’s serials which would continue running for several weeks, along with the regular feature. Preal and Thelma Nielson played appropriate music to set the mood for the story.

When sound pictures came along, sound equipment was too expensive for Mapleton to buy so the picture shows came to an end. About this time Mapleton Ward purchased the hall. At this time, R. Lovell Mendenhall was Bishop with Richard Bird and John I Holley as counselors.

Ed played the trombone in the Mapleton band when it was led by Zenna Houtz Whiting and later Frank M. Johnson for several years. This band performed at many town meetings and celebrations.

In the late 1920s Ed worked with the “Vanguards” (young men, ages 16-18) in the M.I.A. He taught them the art of leather work, the sport of archery and how to make their own bows and arrows. Many hours each week were spent sharing the crafts in which he was skilled with anyone who was interested.

He was a farmer and raised cattle, working for many years with his father operating the family farm. After the death of his father, he cared for his mother for several years until she passed away in 1945. After the death of his father, he continued to run the farm with some outside help.

He married Helen C. Marchant in February 1950. They lived in the family home now owned by Richard D. Bills, just northeast of the new bank.

Ed died January 4, 1955 at about age 68, leaving his widow and two step children, Arnold Johnson and Janice M. Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment