Saturday, September 5, 2015

{History of Mapleton} Albert Milton Whiting (1847-1907)

This is from The History of Mapleton, by Ralph K. Harmer and Wendell B. Johnson, on page 176.

Albert Milton Whiting was born at Mount Pisgah, Iowa, December 9, 1847. He was the son of Edwin and Mary Elizabeth Cox Whiting and came to Utah with his parents after being born during the trek west. They arrived in Salt Lake City in October of 1849, but the family soon went to Manti, Utah to establish a settlement.

When Albert was sixteen years old the family moved to Springville, Utah. His father had acquired quite a number of fruit trees and berry bushes and it was hoped that the Springville location would be better suited for the growing of these crops than San Pete County had been. His early years were spent herding cows on the Mapleton Bench with a number of other Springville boys. At times Indians would steal their lunches and they kept the young men in a constant state of anxiety.

Albert married Harriet Susanna Perry December 22, 1873 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. They lived in Springville, Utah for a few years and then in February 1876 he and his family were called to go to Arizona to colonize. The colonization attempt failed and the Whitings and others returned to Springville the following September. The family lived with the Van Leuvans that winter, and in the Spring of 1877 moved to the Union Bench which was the name of the area now named Mapleton, Utah. Albert’s father, Edwin Whiting, had filed on a quarter section of this land and divided it up among his boys. Albert received twenty acres which became his farm and where he built a one-room cabin. Later, he built a two-room adobe house, of blue clay found near Utah Lake which was made into bricks.

Albert M. Whiting was a good farmer and worked well with animals. He also cut timber and wood posts to supplement his income. He had sixteen children which he and his wife raised and educated. These children have been important leaders in the Mapleton Community and other cities in which they have lived. The family was hard working and frugal. Since they had such a small farm the children often hired out to other farmers to help with the family income. As with many of the early Mormon families they had plenty of family fun, food, and togetherness. They were taught honesty and dependability.

Albert had a special way with animals. He was very patient with them, and was often called on to help cure sick animals. He possessed a blood charm that helped stop bleeding in seriously injured animals or even people. Perhaps, that is the reason that Albert was appointed town marshal by his neighbors. Anyone one that was patient with animals could probably understand and help people.

Albert Milton Whiting died of a heart attack March 25, 1907.

No comments:

Post a Comment