Saturday, January 11, 2014

Biography of Warren Stone Snow (1818-1896)

Note: If you look on Warren Stone Snow's page on Family Search, he has many more sources and biographies. One person even wrote a master's thesis about him at BYU. Just take some of the documents with a grain of salt. I've been doing some reading, and I think it's hard to say how accurate the castration story is. At any rate, here is the biography written by Ruby Snow Jensen, his granddaughter.


Written by
Ruby Snow Jensen
His Granddaughter
Mapleton, Utah

Warren Stone Snow, son of Gardner Snow and Sarah Hastings, was born 15 June, 1818, Chesterfield, New Hampsire [sic]. He lived with his parents in Chesterfield until nearly one year of age when they moved with other pioneers westward and began a new home in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. Here, in the year 1833, when Warren was 15 years of age, they first heard the Mormon Elders and in the same year Warren was baptized a member of the Mormon Church. He lived with the Prophet Joseph Smith for a few months. He started westward with the members of the Church and his parents and brothers and sisters, living for two years in Kirtland, Ohio, moving on to Adam-on-Diahman, Davis County, Missouri, in the year 1838 and in the winter of 1839 moved to the State of Illinois.

In 1841 he was married to Mary Ann Voorhees, daughter of Elisha Voorhees and Nancy Ann Leek, in Hancock County, Illinois, in Lima Township on the 23rd day of December.

They were the parents of seven children, Joseph Smith Snow being the oldest son. He was born 16 January, 1845 in Lima, Hancock County, Illinois. He married Lucy Ellen Van Buren.

The family moved to Pottawattamie county, Iowa. Here Franklin was born 23 April, 1850. They now started westward with the Saints and their next child, a daughter, Elizabeth Ann, was born 28 August 1852 while they were traveling across the plains. She was born at Cottonwood, Platte River, Wyoming. She died in the year 1863.

The family arrived in Utah in 1852 and went to the Town of Manti as this was where Warren's father and mother were living in the year 1854. Warren Stone Snow was ordained Bishop of Manti and for many years he presided over all of the settlements in Sanpitch County.

His four youngest children were born in Manti.

Samuel P.: 25 Dec. 1854
Mary Ann: 13 Mar. 1857
Mallissa Jane: 24 Apr. 1861
Luella: 12 Aug. 1865

Warren Stone Snow was endowed in the Nauvoo Temple 6 January 1846. His first wife, Mary Ann Voorhees, was endowed the same day. They were sealed 5 August, 1854.

In April, 1857, he entered the order of plural marriage, taking for his second wife Sarah Elizabeth Whiting, daughter of Edwin Whiting and Elizabeth P. Tillotson. They went, and I suppose this was their honeymoon, to the Salmon River Valley in Idaho, where they were called by President Brigham Young, in company with about 400 other settlers on an exploring and colonizing expedition. They only stayed in Idaho about one and one-half years when they returned to Manti. Here their two oldest children were born. Edwin M. Snow, 21 November, 1859, and Clara Elizabeth, born 3 January, 1862, while her Father was in England. In 1861 Warren Snow was called on a mission to England. He returned in 1864, being captain of a train of emigrants.

After returning from his mission, he moved his wife, Sarah Elizabeth, and their two small children to the settlement of Springville, Utah, where her parents had made their home, and thus he had his two families separated by a distance of some 80 miles.

In Springville, their youngest son, Daniel Wells, was born in the year of 1873.

Edwin M. Snow and Clara Elizabeth married and moved east of Springville three and one-half miles on the Union Bench, later called Mapleton, and then in the year 1896, the youngest boy married and he and his mother sold the family home and also moved to Mapleton. Here Sarah Elizabeth Snow died 23 November, 1918.

Warren Stone snow married three more women, Drucilla Higgins being his third and by her he had two children, Eva and Warren.

Mariah Baum was his fourth wife and by her he had two children, John and Hannah.

Mary Ann Brown was his fifth wife and by her he had one daughter, Rosina.

Warren Snow served several terms as member of the State Legislature. During the Black Hawk War he was a general and received wounds in the battle.

From the time of the settlement of Manti, the settlers in the Sanpitch Valley were troubled with the Indians stealing their cattle and taking their supplies. Chief Walker caused much trouble and loss of life and many settlements were abandoned between the years of 1850 and 1855 when Chief Walker died and ended what was called the Walker War. His brother, Aropine, took command of the Indians and deeded all of the valley to Brigham Young. He said he loved Brigham Young and the white people and they signed a treaty of peace, but Indian treachery is proverbial and the redmen did not keep the treaty long which was given by Chief Aropine. They continued to attack unarmed travelers and Aropine demanded more beef, biscuits and clothing, or in the event that they were not furnished war would commence. In September, 1855, the Indians started the Black Hawk War by attacking the settlement of Moab. Small attacks were made at different times until the settlers never felt safe to get very far from the fort in the settlements. This warfare was kept up for seven years.

In the spring of 1865, the Indians who were camped near Manti became very troublesome and insulting to the people. Many threats were made and the Indians indicated that they would start war on the smallest pretext.

On April 9, John Lowry, with others, had a quarrel with Jake, an Indian, about some stolen cattle. This was enough to start the war and Chief Blackhawk gathered his warriors and the conflict was started. A party of men was sent out from Manti to gather the cattle and were fired upon by the Indians and the cattle were stolen. Some were killed. Warren Snow was a colonel at that time and gathered some men and pursued the Indians and returned with part of the cattle. He, with his command, went back to the scene of the battle and got the bodies of the slain men. On July 15, Colonel Warren S. Snow was made Brigadier General and immediately took command of the Militia and the Minute Men. They pursued the Indians into Grass Valley and on the 18th, engaged in a pitched battle, killing twelve Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment